Thursday, July 2, 2009

2TH AYK

The title of this post is actually stolen from the best dentist in the metroplex, Dr. Pfaffenberger's (a.k.a. AUNT MaryLou), personalized license plate!! I could only think of one other title that I quickly decided was not appropriate for our family blog. Let me just say, next time (and YES, there will be a next time...infact, if you ask Reed he will bow his little head and hold up THREE fingers indicating how many more visits he has left with Aunt MaryLou) DADDY needs to go along!! We certainly owe Dr. Pfaffenberger a massage after all she went through with Reed. Cole was a champion...got in the chair opened his mouth...no big deal. He takes after his father and oldest brother who practically fall asleep (Mike actually DOES fall asleep) during dental treatments. Reed, on the other hand, is like his mother. He laid there clenched fisted and screaming for the majority of the time it took MaryLou to fill TWO of the EIGHT cavities in his mouth. And did I mention that we started out with a little children's benadryl...just to relax him a little and get him a wee bit sleepy?!? While Cole was being worked on, Reed and I waited in the waiting room...and he was really having to struggle to keep his eyes open. PERFECT. I thought. First hurdle, the numbing. Went VERY well. I was falsely lead to believe that this was going to go easily...afterall, he handled the numbing better than his mommy!! :) After getting him positioned for the fillings, she placed "Mr. Thirsty" in his mouth....didn't go well. He told her it hurt. Yes, just the tiny suction tube that she hung on one side of his mouth. We managed to distract him with Spongebob (never did I think I would EVER say, "Reed, watch Spongebob!") and the second the drill hit is tooth the tears started rolling with him screaming, "It's all scratchy in my mouth!!!!" He must have asked Aunt MaryLou fifty times, "Am I done now???"
Poor baby.
We ARE done, for today.
Next week, same time, same place, same procedure.
Here are some pictures of our time....these are not "celebration" picutures...just history, survival (for ALL involved) pictures!!! Trust me, and ask the boys, THEY WILL TELL YOU, our "celebration" is milk and water as drink choices for the rest of their lives!!!
Cole and Aunt MaryLou

Poor baby Reed! Poor Dr. Pfaffenberger!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking more and more (with both our maiden names being Jackson) that we are somehow related. I have a rotten mouth too!!! Trey likes to call it "meth-mouth." Until I transferred over to his insurance, we were spending thousands a year on my rotten teeth!

Caryn said...

I still can't stand to go to the dentist...but how nice to have one in the family!!!!!!! Oh, and Brittney...I invested a lot of money in your "meth-mouth!" and we did not have dental insurance!!!!!!! Kim, we sure enjoyed your boys tonight. They are all so precious. cj

kitchu said...

Reed. Oh Reed. I so want to high five you little man. Your face is just like mine after the dentist. I wish I had an ounce of Cole's bravery- but YOU are so brave with all that work!!! Milk and water are the KEY... :O) Poor guy. Give him a hug from me.

Misty said...

OH MY...poor little Reed. I so feel his pain (and Brittney's) I don't think I have a tooth left to fill. They all have fillings, sealants, crowns, done the root canal too. Hope this week's appt is better!