Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Day

Days are important. So important in fact, that God told us to count them. So much of what we do and celebrate in the world revolves around a day. And you know, we're possessive of them, at times waste them, hate some, love some, and then hold on to them for dear life. Life changing events have happened to me in this winter month of January....first...the birthDAYS...Ian, Reed, Karen, Dawn, Jacob, Steve, Cole, Emily, Ellis (or as we call her Mei-Mei), Caroline, and Ethan. Insane! Eleven family birthDAYS in one month! My parent's "Get Married DAY" was in January. Equally powerful to the births in this month are two (as Tod used to call it when he was wee little) Happy Heaven Days. The first came twelve years ago today. Emily, my niece, joined the angels in heaven while nestled inside mommy....and although this day was her physical arrival to us (and not the actual day she passed away) I will forever count this day as her Heaven day. The second came just four short years ago...and depending on when I finish this post...tomorrow (which is M-n-M's birthday! ). It still consumes me at times, and I imagine that will never change. To honor her, we spread mom's ashes in her favorite beach spot two years ago, and flew kites which mom had never done in her life. Today, Brad, Dawn, Alex, Dylan, Colin, Ethan, and Karen will return to her beach spot to fly kites again....it's now a tradition on her DAY.

We lift our kites to you...and know...
that even though the winds of time blew hard enough to take you from our arms, you can rest assured they have never, ever taken you from our hearts.

Practically perfect in every way.
I love you. I miss you.

6 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

Your post made me pause and think over a slew of things too numerous to mention here. But like you, I too am jolted over how fast time has passed since the day we surrendered our loved-ones to God (almost a year for my grandmother. UNBELIEVABLE.) Although I did not know your dear mom, the vacuity perpetually present in your life somehow makes her a little more familiar too me. I know that makes absolutely no sense and is completely illogical, but I think explaining their passing is terms of absence or void may have something to with it.

My only hope- as is the hope of those who strive to have faith -is that God exists and that in the next life we gain back the loved-ones we lost in this one without the danger of ever losing them again. If anything, I think that in the next life the definition of "loved-one" may broaden to encompass all of humanity and not only those who are dearly familiar to us (there are several scriptural citations that encourage why that should now and not just later).

I think your mom would have liked very much the first song on your playlist:)

Caryn said...

Thinking of you today. cj

kitchu said...

i love you kimmy ann. i can barely read this for the tears with this song... xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxxxxxoooo to heaven and back.

Mike and Kim said...

Thank you Caryn and Krick...and Tom, you are SO RIGHT..Mom absolutely loved Mary Poppins and would especially love an upbeat no tears kind of day from us!

Love to all...and special thankgiving prayers for you all for your support.

Misty said...

Love you Kim.....I love that song in Mary Poppins....and now I will always think of you and your mom. Hugging you through the computer...love you!

Anonymous said...

I thought of you that whole day and said a special prayer just for your family. I love you Kimmy. I'm so glad that our friendship continues to grow even stronger. What would I do without you at 4:00 EVERY DAY?????