Friday, November 26, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

















What a fantastic day we had today! It was a first for four of us. Mike, Cole, Reed, and I went out to Kadee Trees in Greenville, Tx...about 80 miles from Dallas...to pick out, cut, and haul home our first real Christmas tree. Since Tod's birth, and his poor family genes of allergies and asthma, we have not ever ventured out to buy REAL. This year I decided to take the question to the expert, Dr. Wasserman. Dr. Wasserman is a pediatric allergist/immunologist who has seen Tod since he was 3, and Craig, Cole, and Reed since birth! Absolutely the most amazing doctor in Dallas! In fact, he has been ranked one of the best in the Dallas for many years. I emailed him last week regarding Tod's moldy apartment and his lung's response to the mold (that he is allergic to) and decided to throw in the REAL Christmas tree question. Well, I learned from him that cutting a tree down FRESH eliminates mold issues! So, off to Kadee farms we go! We rode out to the acres and acres of trees in a hay wagon carrying a saw! What a job! I fell in LOVE with so many. The ONE was 10 feet...so onward we searched. An hour later, we found the second ONE. Mike, Cole, and Reed helped cut it down. The guys at Kadee then take your tree to a vibrating machine to shake all the dead pines to the ground. It is then measured (8 feet!) and shoved, and boy do I mean shoved, through this hexagon looking deal to be bound up tightly! Mike then carried it to the big GREEN MACHINE...and for the first time, our GREEN MACHINE carried home our first REAL Christmas tree.
Oh, and where were Craig and Tod? Craig was on the couch, and Tod was sound asleep after having spent BLACK FRIDAY shopping with Gemina and Kharis from 2:30 AM until noon.

7 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

Wow! What an excellent way of getting into the Christmas spirit! I've thought about getting a real tree in the past, but I'm so use to my fake one that I've been unable to make the transition. I have a co-worker who also purchased a real tree and absolutely loves it. I'm beginning to feel peer pressure:0)

And Kim, how many Edward decorations will this tree have? LOL.

Merry Christmas and a blessed Advent to the Pfaff's!

kitchu said...

welcome to the real :) it's the BEST. although admittedly i've never chopped my own down. that is way awesome.

Ashley said...

LOVE IT! rhett and i did this every year until we had babies. oh how i miss it! maybe once their bigger, we'll do it again. for our 1st christmas tree as a married couple, we sent our stump to a man that carves and paints a santa in it and then he inscribed it for our first married christmas! we cherish that!! :)

kitchu said...

i have to add that it makes me sad i haven't seen the boys in so long. i really cannot believe how big Cole and Reed are. sigh. we plan to be there in march. counting the days.

Misty said...

When did little Reed get SO big? Makes me sad because that means I haven't seen you in WAY TOO LONG!!! We've never had a real tree either. Let me know how that goes with allergies, etc... I love that y'all did this. And, how proud am I of you for taking pictures??? GO KIM! I'm ready for dinner together during Christmas break. I see you added Bella's Lullaby to your songlist...love it!

Caryn said...

What a fun thing to do...I would love to go "real" again! You need to post a pic of this "green thing" all decorated! Love to all of you. cj

Anonymous said...

And why do I not see a picture of this tree strapped on top of the green machine?