Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympics


We are an Olympic family. Not because we have superhuman strength or endurance, but because we love to sit around and watch people that do! When we were watching the opening ceremonies, Tod recalled the Ali moment of lighting the flame. I told him that was Atlanta ’96 and he said, “No way! I was 6 then, I wouldn’t remember that. It had to be the Salt Lake Olympics.” Of course, Google proved me right and Tod started to realize how long he had been watching Olympic games.

I saw the Miracle on Ice, the amazing Edwin Moses, Eric Heiden, Kerri Strug, and Michael Phelps, but my favorite Olympic moments happen right in my own living room.

Tod used to stand up on a step stool, put a children’s rosary over his head and make us sing the national anthem. He also would sit on the linoleum and grab the doorframe to launch himself luge-style across the kitchen and inevitably into the refrigerator. And I still have friends who say, “Co-Ca-Lell-A, proud sponsor of the BA-LINK-ITS.” Even now he actually comes out of his room for hours at a time and sits with the family to watch the Olympics.

Craig has become a connoisseur of beach volleyball and women’s gymnastics. Did I mention he’s 13 and going into 8th grade this year? He loves to play basketball, so that is in the Top 3 as well. It’s a far cry from his days of speed skating across the wood floors in his socks.

Cole is 6 now and enjoying the wide world of sports. He can’t get enough of water polo. When I told him his Papa Dick used to play, he was truly amazed. He found out Papa Dick rode crew as well and was equally impressed. Cole wants to watch table tennis, discus, fencing, wrestling, ANYTHING that pits one person against another in competition. He has caught the bug.

Reed is only 3, but the other night had his own Olympic moment. A US gymnast was vaulting. Reed pulled the binky out of his mouth and said, “ I like her privates” and returned the binky to the mouth. Kim looked down and quietly said, “What did you say?”. Binky out, “I like her privates”. “Why?” came the motherly reply. “They move when she runs” and the binky was reinstalled, only the dimples visible. Tod gave Kim a high five. “Looks like you’re 4 for 4, mom.”. Yes, the Olympics brings out the best in all of us.

6 comments:

Misty said...

okay - that is making me laugh so hard out loud at work. LOVE that story. still laughing....
misty :)

kitchu said...

Oh I've been WAITING for you guys to tell that story!!! I laughed even harder reading it!

xoxo family!

John said...

Classic!

Shannon said...

that is SOOO funny!! You guys must laugh all the time with him around!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

OMG that is so darn funny!!! I have tears running down my cheeks from laughter LOL I am Mom to 4 boys and this just made me crack up!!!

Amie said...

Came from Kris'blog.

That is flippin' hilarious. I was not ecpecting that... pulls out the binky to say it none the less. Freakin' hilarious. That is some funny stuff..

:)

Amie