Wednesday, August 13, 2008

TWENTY YEARS!



The best day of our lives! Our wedding day! Twenty years ago today Mike and I recited (by heart!) these vows before God, our families, and many friends:
I, Michael, take you, Kimberly, to be my wedded wife. With deepest joy I receive you into my life, that we may be one. Following the pattern of Christ as displayed in His bride, the church, so I will be to you a faithful, sacrificial husband.

I promise to you, my deepest love, my unselfish devotion, and my tenderest care. I promise to direct our lives into a life of faith and hope in God, Our Father, ever honoring His guidance through His Word. Therefore, Kimberly, throughout life, no matter what my lie ahead, I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful husband.



I, Kimberly, take you, Michael, to be my wedded husband. With deepest joy I come into my new life with you. As you have pledged to me your life and love, so I too, happily give you my life, and in confidence submit myself to your headship as to the Lord. As is the church in her relationship to Christ, so I will be to you. I will live as one with you, loving you, obeying you, learning from you, and ever seeking to please you. God has prepared me for you and so I would ever strengthen, help, comfort, and encourage you as you lead us in God’s Word.

Therefore, Michael, throughout life, no matter what may lie ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as a loving, obedient, and faithful wife.
Our vows were followed by the lighting of the unity candle. Prior to the wedding, Mike told me (but did not allow me to see the words) he was writing a song for this part of our ceremony. Mike had Paul, his older brother, write the music for the tune and John, one of Mike's younger brothers, sang it at our wedding. Here are the words to his song, "Father."
We can't wait to live our lives as one , Lord
To share and grow, communicate and love, Lord
We want to live as you taught us to
But we can't do that without You.
Father, hold us tight
Help us see the light
Of Your great love in our lives.
We'll never be alone
If we make our home
Inside Your arms, Father
All I want is to fulfill all her needs, Lord
Let her know how much she means to me, Lord
We want to form our own trinity
Our Father, Michael, Kimberly
As we share this sacrament today, Lord
We want You to show us the right way, Lord
In Your love, help us understand
Join our lives as we join our hands.


As we returned from lighting the unity candle and were standing before the altar, I remember lying my head down on his shoulder as he tenderly wiped the tears falling from my eyes. It was such a feel good moment. But you know, it feels even better today than it did twenty years ago! We are who we are because of God, first, and then family, and then you. To all family and friends , thank you so much for twenty years of your love, support, and prayers.
Raise your glass with us tonight as we celebrate, in Tod-o's words at around 4, our "Happy Get Married Day!"
We love you!

5 comments:

Kar said...

Let's do it again......enjoy the beauty you two have created these twenty years and I will look foward to celebrating your next twenty...I love you both--Kar

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! We are approaching 6 years in a few weeks. Watch out! We're right behind you!!! :)

Anonymous said...

aawww! how cute are you 2? i love that you wrote out your vows for the blog! that is so special that you remember those intimate details. you and mike are a fine example for rhett and i! God definitely knows how to pick the perfect soulmate!! love you guys to pieces!

kitchu said...

Not sure how I managed to miss this one... but I'm sitting here crying :) Sometimes I wish I could go back, for just an instant, and watch that day unfold all over again...

love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!
20 years! Wow! It seems like just yesterday. I loved being a part of your wedding. You are both so special to Scot and I.