Friday, August 29, 2008

Road Trip

We’re leaving early tomorrow morning for Ruston, Louisiana. Home of the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. 6 people, 2 cars, a fridge and microwave, laptop and printer, sheets and towels, hopes and dreams, apprehension and ambition. That’s quite a carload.

No more “Is he ready?” thoughts, it’s sink or swim time and I’m pretty confident we have ourselves a figurative Michael Phelps. The world will open up for him on Monday when we drive away. He’s only 4 ½ hours down I-20, but he’s in his own world. He will be pushed intellectually, challenged spiritually and he will meet people with views and ideas that he never imagined. He will hold tight to some beliefs and happily bid others farewell. He will argue passionately, spend hours in deep thought and laugh until he cries. He will eat ramen noodles, stay up too late, skip classes and pull all-nighters. He will meet people that will be his friends for life, perhaps even his soul-mate. He will kick footballs, lift weights and run. He will pick up new hobbies and see new places. This is an amazing time for him.

If you read this, please take a moment to say a prayer for Tod and his future. Thank you.

5 comments:

kitchu said...

Tears are just streaming down my face... I am so proud, so happy and feeling more than a little nostalgic. He's not my son, but I feel almost like he's left my nest! Tod you are an amazing young man- I know you are going to excel! Best of luck on this first year at college! My prayers follow you...

Anonymous said...

I can't read your blog anymore...you always make me cry!

Misty said...

definitely praying for you and the whole family! that was a tear jerker!

Kar said...

As usual, so very talented at summing it all up! This is an exciting time and truly what you guys as parents prepare kids for....he will soar, be sure and how fun to watch!! Prayers for everybody....

Tom in Vegas said...

Many blessings to you!!

Keep your nose to the grind stone and never, NEVER, forget those you leave behind.