Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Breath of Heaven

Like so many others, I absolutely love this time of year. And we so enjoy all the things that everyone does… driving around looking at Christmas lights, putting up decorations, reading Christmas books to the boys every evening, baking sugar cookies for Santa, opening everyday’s window or box on their Advent calendars, opening Christmas cards and letters received….all of it warms my heart, and prompts me to focus on the real meaning of this beautiful Advent season.

I love the word Advent. More importantly, I love what it means (“Coming”) and the season even more. I ask myself almost everyday of Advent, “What are you doing to prepare for the coming of the Messiah?” (No need to mention what my answers are…I’m sure yours are better!) I love the way our church celebrates Advent. The first two out of four Sundays of Advent our church prepares us for Christ’s return to us, while the latter two Sundays prepare us for the birth of Christ. And it is in that most Holy Birth that I dwell most of this season. To me, the word “awe” comes from that night. Perhaps it is the mother in me, or the fact that I have been so blessed (although I wasn’t feeling that at 5+ centimeters dilation) to have been given the gift of experiencing childbirth, but I find myself in these days of advent thinking about Mary, mostly, but also about Joseph. I cannot even begin to imagine, riding on a donkey…while in labor. No comfy saddle to sit on, no warm blankets brought to you, no nurse, no ice chips when you are thirsty, no bed to sleep on between contractions, no epidural. I say that again, no epidural. They traveled EIGHTY-FIVE miles…laboring…on a donkey! I can just imagine Joseph’s elation as Bethlehem’s city lights could be seen. Home, finally. Mary must have been so ready to just get OFF the donkey and lie on something besides the hard, dirty ground.

Home, but no home.
Home, but no room.

Poor Joseph. He must have felt so incredibly frustrated as he tried so desperately to find a comfortable bed for his wife, and the Mother of God. When the inn keeper suggested the stable out back….again, I am thrown back to the “I can’t imagine.” A dirty stable, hay, the smell of animals, empty troughs, dusty, ….did I mention dirty? It had to be worse than Lady's kennel! I don’t know how Mary did it?!!! I couldn’t do it. I would have to vacuum first!! Not to mention...clean, yes, with BLEACH. And can’t you picture Joseph frantically trying to clean it up a little for her…and Him? You wonder…did Joseph help Mary in delivering Jesus? Was he scared? That alone, to me, is awe. She gives birth to the King of Kings in a dirty, cold stable…surrounded by ALL that she needs: the love of God and her sweet husband. Joseph wraps the Babe in swaddling clothes…NOT a pre-made swaddle blanket….and lays him in a manger…pillowed softly on fresh HAY. No crib, no plush, cozy blankets, no mattress, no 400count cotton sheets!

WOW.

I love Amy Grant’s words…

Be with me now, Be with me now…
Breath of Heaven, hold me together, be forever near me, Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, light in my darkness, pour over me your Holiness, For you are holy.

You know, we spend an amazing amount of time and money on the things of this dark world. This Most Holy Night reminds me that all I really need came to me 2008 years ago in stable in Bethlehem.

May the AWE of His Birth complete you.