Monday, February 16, 2009

Basketball Game

Went to a basketball game this weekend. One of the boys was playing so it was a family affair. We were playing a team that beat us by 20 the last time we played, so everyone was expecting the worst. Turned out to be a great game. My son played very well and we stayed close. In the fourth quarter he made a couple steals, hit a few baskets and we ended up with a tie. Quite an improvement over last time! After the game a gentleman came up to me, shook my hand and introduced himself. He said, “Your son had a great game. Your son’s got a lot of talent, I like the way he plays” I thanked him. He then handed me a business card with his organizations name on it and told me he’d love to have my son play for his team next year when he moved up.

Now, normally that kind of overture would have me bursting with pride, but did I mention that it was Cole who was playing (he’s 7!) and the game was at the YMCA!?! Yes, that’s right. Some dude is building an 8-under basketball dynasty at the YMCA! What’s this world coming to…

I have coached youth sports for a long time and personally, I do not like to lose. But youth sports is not about the coaches, it’s about the kids. Our #1 rule for every sport is to have FUN. My belief is that if a kid is not having fun at 7, he won’t be playing when he’s 13. If the kids are having fun and learning how to play the sport, the winning takes care of itself. I am proud of the fact that every soccer and baseball team I have ever coached has had a winning record, but I am more proud when parents tell me that playing on my team was the most fun their child ever had or that it was where they learned the most. And to think, I’ve done it all without recruiting.

2 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

I couldn't agree more with your philosophy towards children's sports. As you wrote, if they're going to have nothing but bad experiences at the tender age of seven, they'll just grow to despise the sport as they get older. That would be a terrible disservice to them.

Congratulations to Cole! He seems to be quite the athlete (It seems to run in the family!). Other than what you mentioned, the only think that would really worry me about the guy who handed you his business card is an issue of trust (unless you already know him well). As a caring and vigilant parent, I’m sure I don’t have to tell you just how careful you have to be with your kids these days. Some of the most dangerous fiends in our society look and sound normal.

I think I've put off buying "Shower The People" long enough. My next stop after this is i-Tunes!

kitchu said...

love your outlook and your philosophy. you're the bestest dad and a great coach.

now get that little winner a contract.
he's my godson. he must go to THE TOP.