Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Thanks Kris for the photo!


It is amazing to me how God works. I struggle every year with "what are you going to give up for lent this year?"....and yes, I know, do something extra instead!! Well, I really try to pick out things that are going to hurt, and things that I will frequently visit or use. In that way I will be reminded of the most precious gift to us all and the greatest sacrifice ever...Jesus' life.

Apparently God had something in mind to get me ready for this sacrificial season. I am calling it my "pre-lent" sacrifice. Our computer has been so messed (wanted to use the "J" word here but knew that Kar and Krick would freak) up lately .....like click on internet...wait 30 minutes...with a "waiting for google image to download" in the text box. Yes, friends, I mean the WORD google came in ONE line at a line (from top to bottom). No email checking, no posting, and most meaningful to me... no READING of friend's or family's posts! Couple of things crossed my mind....blowing up the computer out back was one of them! Verizon thinks it's the modem, Mike doesn't really know what is wrong with it, YET, and of course Tod thinks "just get a new one!" Anyway, thank you, Lord, for giving me so many opportunites to practice patience. And you know what...I learned from this "pre-Lent" sacrifice.....I'm NOT giving up the computer!! Or cleaning.

The change in background is not one of my favorites, however, it is a constant reminder to me of Lent. Now if I could just get the black ash cross that is put on all Catholic foreheads today surrounded by His crown of thorns... placed on the background, too,.....that would be perfect. Need a photo Kris!

Dear friends, I encourage you all to go to the "desert". I know it is in that quiet place that Christ awaits us and longs to be with us.... Meanwhile, I pray that our journeys over these next forty days are Spirit filled.

5 comments:

Kar said...

Peace and suffering that brings spiritual growth be with each of you.....you are all precious to me. I love you guys.....

Caryn said...

So beautifully said. cj

Anonymous said...

Kim,

We would love if you would come to the desert. Seems every summer you choose the beach.

Cathy Sparkman said...

kim, these 40 days are my favorite time of year as well. unfortunately, it is a time that i pray the most. it should not be that way, i know, but having that struggle each day allows me to slow down and recognize when we get caught up in our all too busy lives. it's incredible. love your posts. always puts things in perspective. you have such a genuine, thoughtful and kind heart! :o)

Tom in Vegas said...

My gosh, you and I are on the same boat. I, too, need to learn patience. As a matter of fact, every aspect of my life could use it right now.

I love Lent, and I know that kris does too.

You know, when looked within the context of Christ, Light, and salvation, the desert is truly a beautiful place.