Sunday, March 28, 2010

Opening Day




I had a great Dad day on Saturday. Cole and Reed are both playing baseball in Farmers Branch. They have a parade to kick off opening day. Reed’s team didn’t participate (bummer), but he got to ride in the truck with Cole’s team. They threw candy and had a great time riding through the town. There was then an opening ceremony with a prayer, songs (Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America), introduction of the teams and a ceremonial first pitch. It was a great way to start the season. Reed then had a game.


(Proud dad moment coming)
Reed is 5, the youngest one on his team (the Cardinals) and in his first T-ball game ever he started as the pitcher. Now for those of you who don’t know much about T-ball, they usually put the best players at pitcher and first base in hopes of getting 3 outs at least once in a game. Reed was able to catch the ball and throw out the runner at first…TWICE! They got three outs in the inning. In the next one he played first base and caught a throw from the pitcher for an out. He also got 2 hits. Quite a stellar start to his career. I guess having 3 older brothers paid off. Cole had a game right after Reed’s.

(Proud dad moment #2)
Cole played hi first game with a new team, the Lugnuts. He played 2nd base, pitcher, short stop and third base. He fielded 5 grounders and threw the runner out at first all 5 times. While playing third there was a hit down the line over his right shoulder. He reached up backhanded and snagged it as it went by. A great catch! I had to leave the dugout to celebrate and give Kim a kiss. (Didn’t want to show my bias to the other Lugnuts). He also went 2-2 at the plate.

I realized on Saturday that I still love baseball. Of all the sports I have been involved in during my life, baseball is the best. There is nothing like spending time at the ballpark, siblings running around, sunny day, sunflower seeds, playing catch, a line drive up the middle. I had an amazing day on Saturday. It was the best day I have had in a long time. Thank you baseball.

5 comments:

Mike and Kim said...

Mickey....
They play the way they do because of your amazing ways of teaching them at such a young age. I remember you working with Tod before he could ever WALK. You ARE incredibly patient while instilling not only the love of the game, but the necessary skills that lead to nothing but SUCCESS.

I find my love grows just watching you on the field...you're MY homerun.

ily,
kimmyann

Tom in Vegas said...

When I was a boy, my grandfather instilled in me a love of baseball. Well, perhaps the word "bribed" might be a more accurate characterization, since he bought hundreds upon hundreds of baseball cards for me to collect. Some of which include rookie cards of some pretty decent players.

I can also see why this is a proud dad moment x 2. Looks like you've got two awesome players who might someday have their own rookie cards in the major leagues:0)

Misty said...

First off, LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing Reed in that uniform. What a cutie he is.

Second - OF COURSE your boys are rockstars on the field! Natural athletes, great coaching from dad, and a great woman behind them all!

Third...Kim's comment brought some tears...she loves her man. Loved reading this one!


We need to come watch them play...sounds like it sure is a lot of fun!

Caryn said...

Love this post. So nice that you take the time and write about your precious boys. Ask Britt about her T-Ball days!!!!! cj

Tom in Vegas said...

Happy Mother's Day!


[wherever you are :) ]