Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mourning in America

I am a little disappointed this morning. I feel that my country and my city have each done something foolish. As you can tell by the banner above, we were supporting John McCain and I believe that electing Barack Obama as president is foolish. What I cannot understand is how a guy who promises to raise taxes on the wealthy received 50% of the vote for those making over $100,000; how a guy who sympathizes with the PLO receives 60% of the Jewish vote; how a guy who will “bankrupt” anyone who makes a coal-powered power plant wins Pennsylvania; how a guy who is pro-abortion wins ANY of the Catholic and evangelical Christian vote. I guess I don’t understand how people can disconnect their religious views from their voting. My faith has an impact on every aspect of my life. (Sometimes just making me feel guilty when I know I’ve done something wrong, but still… it has an impact). What I watch on TV, how I spend my time, the friends I have, how I spend my money, where I volunteer, all of this is impacted by my faith. I believe in the sanctity of life. Period. I believe marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman. Period. I can’t put that aside because of a charismatic “Hope” and “Change” mantra. Guess it’s time to buy a gun and pray, (I live in the middle of the country, so I “cling to guns and religion”).

My city, Irving, has passed beer/wine sales. I have lived in Irving for most of the last 30 years and am again, disappointed. The fabric of life in Irving has changed considerably in that time, most would say for the worse. The schools are not as good, the property values have not increased at expected levels, there are run down apartments and overcrowded rent houses(only 33% of the homes in Irving are owner-occupied). Now, this issue comes up at just about every election and is usually defeated by about a 60/40 margin. This time, it passed by 768 votes despite being oppposed by the mayor and city council. I contend that Irving has enough trouble without adding this to the mix. What positive affect will this have in Irving? Will there be less empty beer cans and bottles in the streets? Will there be less people sleeping on park benches? Will there be less drunk drivers? Or drunk walkers? Will there be less loitering around convenience stores? Hmmmm. I think not. It is probable that these things get worse, but they certainly won’t get better. Is that quality of life issue worth 1 cent per dollar on beer/wine sales? Not to me, and anyone who knows me knows that I do like to drink! I guess I was hoping some of the “old” Irving was still around, I think it has slipped away. Bummer.

I told Kim we would move if Irving passed the beer/wine sales. I’m still thinking about that one, but it’s not off the table. Craig is ready to move to Australia, maybe we’ll go there...

7 comments:

John said...

I feel your pain brother.

I used that same song on my blog yesterday about the MSM.

Kar said...

Three words....WINTER PARK FLORIDA.

kitchu said...

cheer up charlie... no matter who's in office, it's time to pray that he can face the challenges that face him... it's what we do as people of faith, it's what we do as Americans.

kitchu said...

In the words of my friend Tracy, heisted from her blog (she being a McCain supporter):

Well, history was made last night and either way it would have gone, it would have been a win for America. I am looking forward to the next 4 years to see where Barack Hussein Obama takes us. I may not agree with his policies and I really have nothing to judge his past on so I hope that America can come together and begin to move this nation forward. I will respect him as Commander in Chief and I will teach my children that they don't have to agree with the person that holds the highest office in our country, but they must respect the position. I live in the greatest country in the world and feel honored to have the opportunity to vote for who I want.
I thank John McCain for his years of service to this country. He has repeatedly proven himself and is a true American Hero.
God Bless America

Kerri said...

...... don't mean to preach, but God knows what He's doing. Hard to digest, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure Al-Queada is laughing at us right now. Not even ten years ago (9/11).....and we vote a man named Barak Hussein Obama into office to run our country.

Cathy Sparkman said...

Amen, Pfaffs! We are mourning here at the Sparkman household as well. I'm going to stop there or I'm going to get all worked up again.