Saturday, November 15, 2008

Name That Tune

I post this as Mike, Tod, Mike's Dad, Dick, and Mike's brothers, Paul, John, and Steve sit at the UCLA vs. Washington football game. Yes, that is correct, they are in Washington. Their love for the Bruins stems from Mike's Dad's days at UCLA. (check that out...two possessive words in a row!) Mike's Dad rode Crew for the Bruins! I can pretty much say that ALL of them, wish they had chosen UCLA instead of UTA. They love their Bruins! Their blood runs blue and gold. Our children ALL have UCLA gear. They know the fight song, the stats, and what NFL or NBA players have come from UCLA. My point...their loyalty.

I, too, am loyal. Loyal to the team that I had the privilege of watching for a few seasons sitting near the 50 yard line at five and six years old! No, my parents were not wealthy season ticket holders but rather.....well, here is how the story goes....

My father loved sports...especially baseball, wrestling, and football (not in that order). He played all the mentioned sports in high school (where he earned the nick name that he so loves reminding us of..."As thousands cheer.") and went on to punt for Lafayette College. He was good. He even made it into a September 1956 (I think that year is right) issue of Sports Illustrated. Furthermore, he was invited to come "try-out" for an NFL team, but as dad told us back then playing for the NFL was nothing...not a big deal and no real money in it, etc....and he had already committed to serve in the Army. Well, years later takes us to living in Maryland...but dad worked in D.C. He wanted to go see the Redskin games but couldn't pay the season ticket price...so he tried out for the Washington Redskin marching band and made it! Yep, my dad played the tune you are listening to every time those SKINS scored...years and years ago. I searched my albums and failed to find the picture of my dad in his Redskin band uniform...thinking maybe my brother, Brad, has it...if so, scan it and email it to me, Brad, and I will post it. So cool that my fourth grade nephew, Alex, Brad's oldest son, now plays that very trumpet that my father marched with at RFK stadium. Alex, I sure hope you have practiced this tune! I have a feeling you'll be playing it often!

So, tonight, I will (like Mike and his siblings are doing now) pull for my Washington Redskins!

6 comments:

Kar said...

Rah, rah, rah!!! FIRE UP!!!! GO SKINS!!!

Kerri said...

i've gotta stay true to my boys. GO COWBOYS!!! marion barber is looking pretty cool with those dreds - might just get me some.

Misty said...

WE needed this win...let me repeat, we NEEDED this win...love that Marion Barber, after all, he does RUN FOR JESUS (that's what he says...) YEA COWBOYS!!!!!

Misty said...

one more thing..i do understand the family commitment to your redskins though. my family has had season tickets for at least 35 years. the day i was born, my dad fed me that first bottle and immediately left the hospital to go to the cowboy game. so, it's in my blood :)

John said...

Scoreboard!

Cathy Sparkman said...

That's SO neat about your Dad. I have such an appreciation for great athletes and their determination when they remain grounded as it sounds like your Dad was. Thanks to him for serving in the Army. Shows what kind of man he is when having the opportunity to play pro ball but instead chose to follow through on his commitment and serve our country. Great post - thanks for sharing. I love that there is history behind why you support your team.