Saturday, May 10, 2008

Choices

With the school year coming to a close, I am quite thankful for how it's gone. We moved Craig this year to a new school. He's in 7th grade and had been in the same Catholic school since first grade. His older brother Tod was there for 8 years and I had been School Board President, so we were pretty invested in the old school. The new one is also Catholic, farther from the house, but better suited for Craig. I am constantly amazed at how well things work out when you spend time in discerment and prayer over decisions. Every decision Kim and I have made this way has been right. So, why don't we make them all this way? Unfortunately, haste and convenience often steer our decision making. With Tod still trying to decide on a college for next year (YES, WE KNOW IT'S MAY 10TH!!) I think it's safe to say we did not take the hasty, convenient route here.

There is a song on David Wilcox's Big Horizon CD that speaks to me. If I knew how to link music, I would. (Lil' help?). Anyway, here are the lyrics until I figure it out...

Hold It Up To The Light

It's the choice of a lifetime - I'm almost sure
I will not live my life in between anymore
If I can't be certain of all that's in store
This far it feels so right
I will hold it up - hold it up to the light,
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

The search for my future has brought me here
This is more than I'd hoped for, but sometimes I fear
That the choice I was made for will someday appear
And I'll be too late for that flight
So hold it up - hold it up to the light,
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

It's too late - to be stopped at the crossroads
Each life here - a possible way
But wait - and they all will be lost roads
Each road's getting shorter the longer I stay

Now as soon as I'm moving - my choice is good
This way comes through right where I prayed that it would
If I keep my eyes open and look where I should
Somehow all of the signs are in sight
If I hold it up to the light

I said God, will you bless this decision?
I'm scared, Is my life at stake?
But I see if you gave me a vision
Would I never have reason to use my faith?
I was dead with deciding - afraid to choose
I was mourning the loss of the choices I'd lose
But there's no choice at all if I don't make my move
And trust that the timing is right
Yes and hold it up hold it up to the light
Hold it up to the light, hold it up to the light

2 comments:

kitchu said...

I could learn a thing or 2 from you guys. Do you know it's RARE I pray about decisions?? Maybe that's the whole crux of my feeling afraid half the time about the ones I do make.

Time to get on my knees... :)

kitchu said...

ps. tried to find the song for you on esnips so I could upload it for you, wasn't on there :(