Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hate

Hate is a curious thing isn't it? I mean where do we get it? And why are some people more filled with it than others? Is it taught?, perhaps shown? or does it just come from experiences that you have gone through in your life? A person close to me once stated that they believe hate is the absence of love. I disagree. Like Mike, I believe that ambivalence is the absence of love...but I do agree that the intensity that one can hate with is often strong, like love. Nineteen years ago Mike and I saw the most incredible counselor (for four years! Thanks Larry!)...where many of these types of topics came up. To this day though, I still struggle with hate. I think I learned hate at a very young age. "Love/hate" relationships truly MESS people up, or at least they messed and mess me up! I believe it all began with alcohol abuse and the affects it had on my parent's marriage and our family. I quickly learned to hate the destructiveness that comes from abused alcohol. It ruins relationships. It destroys trust. It hurts. And ultimately it leads to tons of other evils. Many of my items on my "hate" list are rooted in this beginning. I hate infidelity...on ALL levels…action, “looking”, thought, etc. I hate lies. In fact, I think it is my number one hate. My heart has no room for lies. Lying is the lowest possible thing you can do to someone. I hate all types of abuse. I hate that my mom was taken from this world so young. I hate all the time she ever had to spend alone, sick. I hate the way she suffered and the amount of suffering she went through, and that I was often not there to help carry her cross. I especially hate that I was not there to hold her during her last breaths. I hate depression and the dark affects it has on the ones I love. I hate cancer. This hate has caused me to come up with this hilarous, yet not so hilarous, list of absolutes. Absolutes that clearly, as seen on Willie Wonka, fall into the “good” or “bad” egg drop…never anything inbetween. Family reminds me often that life is not just black and white. My inability, at times, to see the vast collection of color in between the black and white is an effect of this hate and yet stems from it too. My struggle is still the same as it has been for years... hating the sin instead of the sinner and what do you do with that hate? It is so hard at times to not allow it to control you and your thoughts…something, mind you, that is absolutely foreign to Mike~ just not worth the time or effort. Why couldn’t it be that simple for me? No different than why can I not go to bed (or even sit down and enjoy a movie!) when the house is trashed with the happy-go-lucky attitude of “I’ll do it tomorrow.” This hate is part of the weight of the cross I bear, I know. I long to get to a place where I am willing and ready to lay it down at His feet.

1 comment:

kitchu said...

I agree that not caring/ambivalence is the opposite of love. And to me? Hate is love expressed in anger. It isn't the opposite of love, but love that hurts. Love that hurts bad enough that its only outlet is anger. In the simplest of terms, hate is angry love.

Your post reminded me of this poem (though it's not about hate, per se):

"First Memory" by Louise Gluck

Long ago, I was wounded.
I lived
to revenge myself
against my father, not
for what he was--
for what I was: from the beginning of time,
in childhood, I thought
that pain meant
I was not loved.
It meant I loved.

God calls us always to rise up. To become who He wills us to be, always better than what we are or think we can be. Hate, or love expressed this way, is harmful- to you, most of all. I am praying that we all will be able to see in each other, in each situation, Christ. That we will remember our call to pray without ceasing- to pray in our anger, our daily chores, our work, our play, on rising and on sleeping.

It is without a doubt my greatest challenge. I fail at it miserably every single day.

But I do know I have a choice about whether I live seeped in bitterness or acceptance/joy. I think the latter is so much more appealing but again, I fall into bitterness over and over. And what good does that do me? I guess it allows me to feel fully what I need to and then move on. You can't let go until you've held on. And sometimes, in order to hold on (to your sanity, your peace), you have to let go.

Sometimes, when I feel compelled to hate, or someone really annoys me to the point I'd like to hold their head under water, I say to myself, (and sometimes out loud): God created this person.

That usually helps reduce the hate factor a bit :O)

And in mom's words, cuz we love how deep she was: Corner's up! Cheer up Charlie!