Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Brother Stuff

Two of my brothers and I are pretty goofy. (My other brother is the oldest and has successfully transitioned into adulthood, leaving us behind. My sister is still on the fence.) We see each other at least every 2 weeks, and during UCLA football season almost every week. We live within about 15 miles of each other, yet our main mode of communication is Facebook. Yes, the social networking site designed for people half our age. And, the saddest part about our communication is that it consists almost entirely of movie quotes. Often times one of us can write one word from a movie and the others know exactly what he’s talking about.

“Cheater”
“FOR-EV-ER”
“Automobiiiiiiile”
“FRA-GIL-E”

It really is fun. But the most fun we have together is our yearly trip to a UCLA football game. This year we'll be joined by my dad and my son, Tod in Seattle. 3 generations of Pfaff's. In the past, the four brothers have gone to Alabama, Texas, OU, Notre Dame, Michigan, usc, and the Rose Bowl among others. Some of the best venues in college football. About half the time we take our clubs and play a round of golf. I have noticed though, that every one is getting better. We drink Canadian Club and smoke cigars. We talk about politics, religion and ethics, business, family, sports and life. We slip back into the conversations from the previous year as if it was later in the same evening, not a year later. We support each other, challenge each other and make each other laugh. We celebrate the fact that we have almost 80 years of marriage between the 5 siblings (with our original spouses!). We thank our wives for letting us steal away for a weekend every year. We raise a toast to our parents for teaching us about God and family. We reminisce about growing up in Los Alamitos. We talk about MCI Tooling. We regale each other with the latest feats of our sons and daughters (just sons for me) and marvel that we are all so lucky.

I think what makes each one better is that we truly appreciate the time we get to spend with each other. We don’t worry about the little stuff any more, we just enjoy the time together. We see our kids growing up and ourselves going gray. We realize that we are truly blessed to have loving wives, beautiful, healthy children and brothers we love. I love you guys. (And you too Katy!)

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Did you write usc the way you did on purpose? Thought so!!

Very nice blog, by the way......

Kar said...

Oh, and I PARTICULARLY LOVE this weekend....ranks right there behind Tri-State. Tod should do well to soften the blow!!! I'm ready with all my understanding words....:) GO BRUINS!!!

Misty said...

I love this one in hopes that my sons will always remain such close brothers AND friends...

John said...

This one will be special. Steve and I were smoking a cigar Monday night and discussing the 3 generation thing. We have our own mountain chalet complete with hot tub and big screen TV. As I stated in my blog not too long ago, the game is starting to get in the way of our good time. You do realize this is year #13 and game #14.