Saturday, October 4, 2008

No Sense

Reed loves school. He loves the idea of homework and consequently works on his coloring homework for Ms. Amy everyday. He wants a binder to keep his work in, a folder like Craig, a laptop like Tod (incidently, so do Tod’s parents), a backpack like Cole’s, and a lunch box or bag (depending on who he is being like that day) like Cole or Craig. Ms. Amy shares often about how serious he is about his work, how he takes special care and time on most of his work. He has many friends both boys and as he calls them “girl friends.” Like most kiddos, there are those friends he truly enjoys being around and those he would rather not have any contact with. Point is coming, I promise. There is one little guy in Reed’s class that he would rather NOT be in his class and unfortunately (we ARE working on this) Reed shows him almost everyday how intolerant he is of him. Well, while waiting in line for the restroom at school Reed was hit by this particular little guy, which I might add happens almost everyday. THIS time, Reed decides to smack this child right back. Ms. Amy, God bless her, is tenderly taking care of the other children in the restroom, making sure hands are washed, underwear is put back on correctly, paper towels are in the trash can, etc. and she does not witness the exchange between Reed and this little guy. Well, thankfully another teacher does and alerts Ms. Amy. Here is how it all went:

Ms. Amy: Reed, did you hit your friend?

Reed: Yes, I did. But he hit me first.

(Ms. Amy not surprised because this happens so frequently)

Ms. Amy: Little friend, did you hit Reed?

Friend: Yes.

(Ms. Amy disciplines Reed’s little friend and then turns to Reed)

Ms. Amy: Reed, what should we do when our friends hit us?

Reed: No answer

Ms. Amy: Should we hit our friends back or tell Ms. Amy?

Reed: (in a very resigned voice)
Tell Ms. Amy….but that makes no sense!

Yes, friends that is correct!! Our three year old is telling the teacher that the rules make no sense! He hit the snot out of the little guy…took care of that in one blow! Makes perfect sense, right? Mike says, “Thanks Mom!” I did take care of a little guy in 5th grade once for trying to kiss me…got me sent to the principal! I hit him too! So…they don’t LOOK like me…just ACT like me. We’re in trouble. And I am so proud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would I do without my Reeder Joe! God has blessed me with a great class. Never a dull moment!

Kerri said...

.....laughing out loud..... he truly is a 3 year old in a 10 year old body! Love you guys!!

Cathy Sparkman said...

lol. that's cute/funny story about reed! isn't it amazing when we as parents look back - we end up saying at times - now that i think about it - i recall doing the same thing. lol.