Saturday, September 13, 2008

Batter Up!





















Photos by Aunt Krissy
Tod leaving for college has affected all of us. Interestingly, each one of us has found, or is working on finding, our unique way of coping with this new stage in the Pfaff household life. I never imagined that Reed, our baby, would truly suffer as I have, hurting and longing for his “Tod-o.” Reed’s teacher, Ms. Amy, is amazing and so tender about giving Reed an abundance of TLC while at school, and truly taking a partnership role in aiding us in helping Reed adjust. There are days that she often hears, “My Tod is gone”,…and in his perspective I think he thinks he’s gone forever. I am so grateful for her tender ways of handling his “broken” heart at times.

Cole has been affected the least but the most positively in that he just looks forward to the next time we are going out to see Tod and can’t WAIT for him to start kicking footballs for Louisiana Tech! We attended Jesuit’s football game last night and Cole felt 18 himself as he shook hands with some of Tod’s 08 classmates who stayed local for college. He is “keeping up” with the guys for Tod while he’s away. He told Tod on the cell phone who he spoke to…calling them all by just their last name…hilarious!

And then, there’s my Craig-o. I cry just typing as I THINK about him. He is, like Tod, so strong yet has always had an unmatched and amazing amount of compassion and empathy. He is tender-hearted and huge hearted all at once. He is quiet about his feelings, and often sits back to just listen. Without a doubt he will be as gifted as his dad in his passion for listening…something I need to do so much more of. When asked, “How is Craig handling Tod being gone?” both Mike and I are quick to answer…he’s doing okay. Truly the excitement of getting his own room overshadowed the emptiness that no doubt has now settled in. But that is the biggest blessing about Craig and truly one of his many strengths…his ability to just go with the flow…very flexible and accommodating…always. He has slipped into this “biggest” brother role with ease and in a way that not only makes us proud but I know it would and will make Tod proud. While on a walk the other night Mike told both Cole and Reed that they had to hold one of our hands …Craig’s, mom’s, or dad’s because we were on a busy street….both Cole and Reed ran to Craig…one on each hand. Mike and I quietly walked behind, tearing up,…with the imagine of Craig holding on to each of his brothers….just as Tod had proudly held on to him many years ago. He, like both Mike and I who had “saint-like” examples and huge footsteps to follow in when Paul and Karen left home, has stepped up to the plate ready….ready for any kind of pitch that life will throw him. God is responsible for his readiness. We are just blessed to be part of the team. We are so proud of you and love you beyond words, Craig, and know that God has amazing plans for you. “ Knock it out of the park!!!”




5 comments:

kitchu said...

Tears are just STREAMING down my face at that image of him holding his brothers hands. That quiet compassion and empathy are such amazing gifts. My heart just swells with pride thinking of him and reading this.

Ashley said...

what a sweet image of your boys. take a camera on your next walk so i can see it in person! ok - we need to start popping out some more boys so court can be a big brother already! :) i miss you guys! we need to catch up. :)

Kar said...

My GODSON has a smile that takes my breath away, an infectious giggle...an AMAZING sense of humor that includes belly-laughing, "dead-on" impressions that seem effortless to him, probably the most attentive manners and people skills that often leave me speechless as I witness...he's very complimentary of others,even adults and is not afraid to say share...a BEAUTIFUL singing voice, the BEST dance moves, an adorable tv-trance state that makes me smile and roll my eyes all at once, a hard working student and boy scout.....I am so BLESSED to call him nephew, Godson and friend. My heart has a special corner with his name on it forever. I have every confidence he will BUST out in this new role and embrace it....the baton has passed and he GRABBED it with ease. Now to go grab the tissue box.....aw, geese.

Kerri said...

Craig is one special guy. I just think of him protecting and loving Cole and Reed --- and I smile. He is such a gentle spirit, and I know God is so very proud of him!!

mi*chelle said...

Just saw your comment on Angie's blog, Bring the Rain. Wanted to let you know that there is hope! I have 4 boys and we are expecting again. This time, if the ultrasounds are all correct, we are excited to welcome our first and only little daughter!!

So anyway, I have felt your cries of "I'm a G-I-R-L!" But I finally will have an accomplice! HA! :)

Good luck! God bless!