Sunday, September 28, 2008

How Sweet It Is

What a perfect title for this post...and what a great song! This weekend was fast, packed, and purposeful for all. For Tod it began with a boring drive from Ruston to Arlington....yes, that's right...not home first....to go to a football game with Miles. Tod and Miles have been friends since birth! Miles's mom, Jamie, and I were sorority sisters in college and ended up being pregnant at the same time! Tod and Miles were born four days apart. Naturally we did and still do so much together. Miles is a senior this year at Oakridge and Tod is desperately trying to talk Miles into switching from "I'm going to Baylor" to "I'm going to Louisiana Tech!"


Anyway, Tod had a great time catching up with friends. He walked through our door at 12:45 to Mike, Craig and me (who were about asleep on the couch!) Laundry, duffel bag and all!! It must have felt so so good to "fit" on a bed again!

Saturday started really early...especially when you go to bed at 1:30am and the alarm goes off at 6:30am! Tod had to be on the field for a kicking lesson at 8am. I can not effectively put in words what Scott Blanton (Yes...feels good tonight saying...former WASHINGTON REDSKIN kicker!) has meant to Tod.

Perhaps the LONG version of this story needs to be posted by Mike sometime...family and close friends KNOW...my post on Tod's senior year of high school football would cause many of you great concern and perhaps even frighten people. Anyway, Scott has given Tod what Mike and I were not able to, and certainly what his high school coach should have....belief not only in himself but in his ability. Tod is amazingly talented...especially when you consider that he had NEVER even been on a field OR kicked a football until his sophomore year. We were lead to Scott, who thankfully took Tod on, and it has been the best experience. Scott's way truly moves Tod. Those of you who have played competitive sports know just what I mean. One of his first quotes to Tod was, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." And for Tod, not having had (yet) to work that hard to get as far as he already had, it was exactly what he needed to hear for the future. Scott is quiet, strong, and confident. He is skilled, observant, very patient, and fun. He has established a win-win relationship with Tod that has lifted him (and the football) to places we were not able to. John Wooden, former UCLA basketball coach and almost a "god" in this house, once said, "Some believe that sports build character. I believe sports reveal character." With the hand that Tod was dealt in high school, I am expotentially proud of the character that was revealed. He stood so tall and was the man. Well, Scott once told us, "I am surprised he has stayed in it with what he has been dealt." Again, Tod, that is a reflection of your character and resiliance.

Scott, we can not thank you enough for what you have done with and shown Tod. You are a big reason he is still in the game!!



And finally came Sunday morning!


Poor Tod...there was no "alone" time this weekend! He was surrounded, tackled, begged to play everything, and constantly held! Tod, know that we miss you so much already! I hope it feels so good to be "re-stocked", "buzzed" (the hair, that is), and "downy-ed!!" We are counting the days until you're home again....seventeen more days!



3 comments:

Kar said...

Bestest BAND OF BROTHERS there EVER was....including Scott. I devour all stories and especially the PICTURES that "Mary Poppins style" allow me to "jump" into THAT (as in THEE)world for a moment and take in a deep, SWEET, goose bumps-all-over breath of LIFE." It truly is healing in the most complete way I know in THIS world. Share more always...I depend on it. Oh, and......how 'bout THEM SKINS????? Yes sir.

Cathy Sparkman said...

Great blog Kim... I'm sure it must be difficult adjusting to having Tod gone. From what I have read and what you shared with me a few weeks ago - sounds like Tod has incredible character and a great work ethic. I am so impressed with his determination after all that he encountered in HS. I really hope he makes the team. His hard work shows how much it means to him. If he has this type of determination in sports - I know it carries over into everything else he does. He sounds like an amazing young man (a product of his parents). Keep us all updated on the football! It's so sweet you count down the days until he is back again. :o)

Kerri said...

I just have two words ---
CUTIE PATOOTIE!