Thursday, January 1, 2009

Big Families

Some of our closest friends from church, The Smiths, recently gave birth to their sixth, a boy, Aaron Michael! As we drove to Medical City to welcome the new little one, Mike asked me, "Are you envious or happy for them?" Always happy when a new life begins in this world, but in a way I felt envious. How FUN to have six children. The infancy no sleep nights, baby carrier seats that break your back and arms, packing your world before leaving the house, putting your weekly earnings to Kimberly Clark or Pampers....all of those things tire me to even think about. So why envious? Well, when I think about them, I, instead, teleport in my mind years and years ahead. How fun Christmas will be when they ALL come home? And how about the weddings, family reunions, vacations...ahh, that is when I get a tinge of envy.

God was so good in nurturing this need for me because the Pfaffenberger-Jackson clan is a big one. Mike has four siblings and I have three...and between the two families there are lots and lots of kiddos. It all started with Brittany. Ten days later came Tod. Then a little less than four months later came Tori. Then Eric, Van, Kody, Craig, Jacob, Alex, Miranda, Cameron, Dylan, Cole, Madison, Caroline, Christian, Patrick, Reed, Colin, Ian, Ethan, and Reagan! We also have Emily, Allyson, Dillon, and four other little angels already in Heaven. And, last but certainly not least we have one on the way from China someday very soon! I have always wanted one big huge party with all of us there! What fun it would be! We ARE an advertisement for the Roman Catholic Church!

Getting together is something the Pfaffenberger clan do often, and I am determined to add the Jackson clan to that "often" list, too, in 2009! (little hard in that they are all in sunny Florida) We have and do gather for Cowboy games, UCLA games, March Madness games, Sacraments, plays, high school games, swimming and grilling out, choir concerts, recitals, and especially for birthdays! I always felt sorry for my little sister, Krissy, born on December 12th, and for my older sister, Karen, born on January 8th. Then Colin arrived on December 29th! I always thought they were "cheated" with the Christmas/Birthday gifts! But that is nothing....check out this list!


January 3 Ian's Birthday & my parents wedding anniv. date
January 4 Reed's Birthday
January 8 Karen's Birthday
January 12 Dawn & Jacob's Birthday
January 13 Steve's Birthday
January 16 Cole's Birthday & Emily's Day
January 20 Carolines' Birthday
January 28 Ethan's Birthday
I know, now, what most parents were doing in APRIL!! Celebrating yet another Sacrament!
Happy New Year!
Our most blessed times always include our families. We hope yours does too!

1 comment:

Cathy Sparkman said...

That's awesome you have a large family. I think that is so neat and so envious. That is why I want a large family. Two down many more to go - Lord willing. . . I have a brother and love him dearly but think it is so neat to have a large family. When the kids grow up and have kids it's just such a fun family affair. You are blessed! Neat post with you breaking it down and reflecting on family. Confirms even deeper how much I want a large family. :o)